Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Free pattern for 0-3m ruffle bum&bottom jeans!


With a baby girl due any day now I decided she *NEEDED* to have some ruffle bottom jeans! 
I wanted a cute front pocket look like big girl jeans except with ruffles on the bottom  and bum.
FYI: Pattern is at the bottom of this post.


(I shoulkd have ironed before taking pics... sorry I'm a bit lazy on the ironing front - well truthfully I HATE ironing.)




cute? yes, I think so too! (oh and the fabric - stretch denim I found at the thrift shop for $1 -and I think I have enough leftover to make a pair of size 2's!)

I started by working onthe front and then the back parts of the pants - for me this meant I did pockets first. Line up the pocket lining curve to pocket cut out curve on the jeans


then fold over and line up the pocket behind piece


and give a stiotch around (I double stitched so it would look more like "real" jeans)


Next I sewed the front and back pieces along the curve bits (for the back this meant what would be the bum and the front what would be the front seam)


here you can see where I stitched better (nearly 39 weeks pregnancy brain is making formulating sentences difficult... sorry,. feel free to email if you have questions!)


Next I folded over and stitched the ruffles for the back - on both sides (I zig zagged and folded over once - if you have a serger - lucky you! if you want to double fold hem it I suggest adding a little extra width when cutting the strips). I also hemmed one side of the bottom ruffle at this stage to - while I had the iron hot why not!



for the bum ruffles add a line in the middle for gathering (use the longest stitch setting)
line up gathered ruffles and stitch down the gathering line one ruffle at a time


Next stitch up the crotch/middle seam of the jeans, and then the sides.


Next gather and stitch on the bottom ruffles gathering line stitch to the bottom of the jeans - right sides together.


For your waistband cut a piece as shown, and stitch one side shut (as shown)


Fold the waistband in half and line the rough edge to the top of the pants with right sides  together and sew in place - leave a spot open to add in elastic. For your elastic I cut a piece similar to other pants that size - I think I did 10 inches.I wish I had written it down. sorry.


then all you have left to do is to stitch that opening closed and then top stitch the waistband - helps it lay flat and look prettier.

and here are the pattern pieces page 1 and page 2





Photobucket

15 comments:

Mimi said...

So cute! Thanks for the pattern!

Kilee Nickels said...

Ruffle Bum jeans and leggings are so cute! I am so impressed you tackled them yourself. They look darling!
I'd love for you to link up to WKWW-What Kids Wore Wednesday Link Party this week at ONE little MOMMA!
http://onelittlemomm.blogspot.com/2012/09/wkww-what-kids-wore-wednesday_11.html?utm_source=bp_recent&utm-medium=gadget&utm_campaign=bp_recent

Kilee
www.onelittlemomma.com

being mom{me} said...

Awe these turned out sooo cute!!! You did a great job.
I'm here from "One little Momma".
Rhiannon at Being Mom{me}

gypsyfam said...

holy flipping adorable:) love me some ruffles, buttoms, legs, anywhere you can add them;)

i hate ironing too, hehe

Michelle's Tasty Creations said...

Jen,
Super cute ruffled bum jeans! Makes me wish my 18yr old was still little enough to wear these. Thanks for sharing on Creative Thursday this week. Have a wonderful weekend.
Michelle

Pamela said...

Love this, I wish I knew how to sew, it is my list of things to learn before I am 40! thanks so much for linking up to Heavenly Treats Sunday Link Party!

Stephanie @ Toastie Studio said...

Thanks for linking up to my party! I wanted to let you know I picked your link to feature this week! See my post and grab my feature button here http://toastiestudio.blogspot.nl/2012/09/made-monday-37-picks.html

Amanda @ The Little Giggler said...

Those are super cute!! Thanks for linking up at The Little Giggler! xo

Jennifer Dawn Oliver Shelton said...

Cute! Thanks for the pattern!

Doublej2 said...

these are so very cute!!!!! i will definitely be adding these to my list of baby shower gifts! thanks for sharing. i'm your newest follower. i just started a blog! mysewsweetlife.blogspot.com

Pamela Henderson said...

You have been featured on Heavenly Treats link Party come on over and retrieve your featured button!

Jenn said...

Those are the cutest little jeans!

nest full of eggs said...

cute :)

Shannon Barefoot said...

Visiting from M.M.M. I love anything with a ruffle bum! How cute. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. I would love if you would share this (and some of your other fun projects) over at my link party going on right now.

http://sewingbarefoot.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-weekly-creative-2.html

Thanks! Have a nice day :)

Shannon
Sewing Barefoot

Shannon Barefoot said...

Thanks so much for linking up to my link party last week. I hope you'll stop by again today to link up some more of your ideas.

http://sewingbarefoot.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-weekly-creative-3.html

Have a great day!

Shannon
Sewing Barefoot